Re: [Organic_Gardening] Re: aphids and mites
I was in the yard the other day and I have several yarrow plants and I caught my cat pouncing on ladybugs. Lots of them and they were in the yarrow plant. I later found out that Yarrow is also favored by ladybugs. It certainly drew the ladybugs to my garden.
--- On Sat, 4/4/09, georgeanderson383@
From: georgeanderson383@
Subject: [Organic_Gardening] Re: aphids and mites
To: Organic_Gardening@
Date: Saturday, April 4, 2009, 7:05 AM
--- In Organic_Gardening@ yahoogroups. com, Diane Day <dianeday2000@ ...> wrote:
>hi,kc brown,
you can plant feverfew,hardy geraniums,lavender and marigolds,they
will attract benefitial insects into your garden.they in time will eat your pests.
geo.
> Planting allyssum also assists in keeping the aphid population down. I plant them all around my roses as recommended by our local rose society. It seems to really help. Aphids produce a sweet substance called honeydew (coveted by ants). The ants will rotect the aphids from their natural predators. If you notice ants ou may need to correct that problem also. Equal parts of peanut butter, sugar and borax will attract ants and they will carry it back to the nest to kill te nest. This is bad for pets so if you use the borax, you need to put it into something the ants can get to but you pets can't.
> I also use my dish water (with biocompatible soaps) on my plants. You could also fill a spray bottle with the same to make it easier to distribute,
>
> --- On Sun, 3/29/09, SGcvn69 | http://sgcvn69. blogspot. com/ <SGcvn69yahoo@ ...> wrote:
>
> From: SGcvn69 | http://sgcvn69. blogspot. com/ <SGcvn69yahoo@ ...>
> Subject: Re: [Organic_Gardening] aphids and mites
> To: Organic_Gardening@ yahoogroups. com
> Date: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 10:51 AM
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Release ladybugs, they will eat your aphids. Aphids are cultivated by ants
> like we raise cows so if you are overrun with aphids you also have an ant
> problem. You could put out borax/sugar baits for the ants. I was told by a
> gardening mom about that...worked on the ants at my old place! Also, plant
> lots of herbs and let them flower. It will attract beneficial insects that
> will come and eat up all your bad bugs. Get the book "Good Bug Bad Bug" by
> Jessica Walliser. It'll help you identify which ones are good and bad and
> it'll also give you suggestions on how to attract the good and organic ways
> to treat the bad.
>
> >
> >
> > --- In Organic_Gardening@ yahoogroups. com, "kcbrown24" <kcbrown24@ ..>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > So the last several years I have been very frustrated with the aphids and
> > mites that love to dine on my brassicas (mainly cauliflower and brussels
> > sprouts). I literally spent an hour one time cleaning all of my sprouts just
> > to have enough for a meal for four. I know there are many "garden dusts"
> > and such that can help this but I don't trust them when I'm feeding young
> > children the produce. (yes, my 2 and 6 year old kids eat brussel sprouts!)
> >
>
> --
> Cindi (aka. SGcvn69)
> Rabies Challenge Fund :: www.rabieschallenge fund.org
>
> Phipps Conservatory Master Gardener
> Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Zone 6a | http://sgcvn69. blogspot. com/
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe
1:05 PM
|
|
This entry was posted on 1:05 PM
You can follow any responses to this entry through
the RSS 2.0 feed.
You can leave a response,
or trackback from your own site.

0 comments:
Post a Comment