Re: [MittleiderMethodGardening] Chickens to control bugs

 

I used to have chickens in a suburban ranch house in the San Francisco Bay
Area. They didn't stink at all. They laid great eggs, and did a good job
in bug and excess vegetation cleanup. They were also efficient garbage
disposals, and especially loved the trimmings from cauliflower and
broccoli. I think that I can have chickens where I live now, but I may be
in a home transition within the next couple of years so I'm putting off
getting any more creatures to leave with me.

K.

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Homestead Springsberry
<springsberry@pa.net>wrote:

>
>
>
> Well, you sounded desperate, <weg>it was the fastest simplest fix I
> could think of, but of course the hens would scratch the plants to bits
> getting at the bugs. Are you sure your city would not allow three or
> four hens? They couldn't make that big of a smell. What makes you
> think that your nose would not allow them? A chicken tractor keeps them
> clean and not smelly if you move the tractor daily so that manure
> doesn't build up. In the process they fertilize the ground they've been
> over, but not too much so that the grass burns up if you move it often
> enough or don't have too many for the space.
>
> They may not like those things anyway. What kind are they? I somehow
> got in the habit of calling stinkbugs squash bugs cuz that's where I see
> most of them...in the past. As of this past winter they were inundating
> my house! All winter long they were showing up. Very strange,...did
> not even plant any squash or pumpkin or cukes last year to build up such
> a population here. They smell sorta like cukes when you squish them.
> They aren't exactly the same but they do prey on my squash and pumpkins,
> etc. just like squash bugs do. I'm going to go check if my chickens
> even like them or not. That may be why there are so many around...or
> because my chicken flock is much smaller this year and last year than in
> years past.
>
> Laura in PA<for now>
> >
> >
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: Sheba948 <ccepps@bellsouth.net <ccepps%40bellsouth.net>>
> > To: MittleiderMethodGardening@yahoogroups.com<MittleiderMethodGardening%40yahoogroups.com>
> > Sent: Mon, September 6, 2010 6:17:37 AM
> > Subject: [MittleiderMethodGardening] Re: Help!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> >
> > Laura,
> > LOL, city girl here, I had to first go see what a chicken tractor was.
> City code
> > will not allow me to have chickens. Nor will my nose. Maybe the wild
> geese that
> > fly over will stop by for breakfast.
> >
> > Thanks for the laugh,
> > Carolyn in NC
> >
> >
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

0 comments: