[MittleiderMethodGardening] New Member Introduction and a Few Questions

 

This looks like an interesting system of gardening. I currently use a form of the square foot gardening. My current beds are 4'x4'x8".

My question about this method is can I use planter boxes and bring in my own soil blend? I am asking this because my soil here is horrible, partly because it is heavy clay alkaline and then what little top soil there was has been scraped off by previous occupants and then they used lots of herbicides and pesticides. So I will not use my existing soil directly.

No matter what method I use in my garden I will have to bring in soil from an outside source.

Looking at the photos and reading the files this looks to be a better use of my land than a bunch of square boxes.

I have full and I mean full sun light all day. Heavy hot wind early in the spring when the seedlings are tender so I provided protection on the west sides of the beds with shade cloth from that.

I live in a zone 5a 5b, edge of a banana belt growing region but high desert like as far as rainfall.

Looking forward to learning new things here.

Judith
Canon City Colorado

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

0 comments: