Fwd: [MittleiderMethodGardening] Simple Traps for Catching Fig Beetles (and p...

 

Bernie and Group,
I used to put a little pesticide in the bottom of the trap, not too much
or the beetles won't go into the trap. But then I found that they go into
the trap for the fruit and the sides of the trap are slippery and they
cannot get out again. So, they die, for some reason. I stopped putting the
pesticide in and I still caught hundreds daily. I am not questioning the
reason but it works. Amazing. I did not invent this. One of our garden
members put it together last year when we had the fig beetle by the thousands.
He got it from either the Co Op Extension or from the Department of
Agriculture.

I put my traps near the things the beetles love, sun flowers, white and
pink dahlias, corn ears and tomatoes. We also put these traps in our 80
tree fruit orchard at the community gardens with the same results. Of course
they were there by the hundreds for the ripening fruit--peaches, apricots,
plums, etc.
Joanne

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

0 comments: