Re: [MittleiderMethodGardening] sweet potatoes

 

re: vines that sprout roots need to be in the soil as that forms another potato


That's true but if you plant your slips about 18" apart in a grid pattern, there's no need or desire for more plants to start.  By training the vines in the air, all the energy goes into the main roots.  The potatoes that start from rooting vines are usually smaller because they got started a month or two later.  They're often in an unwanted location--like an aisle.

If I had a big field, and didn't want to plant more slips than needed, I'd space them farther apart and let the vines root.  In a 4'x8' bed, I throw half the slips away--whether I buy them or start my own.   I also want to contain the vines to the bed. 

Training them up works for me.  I consistently get around 100lbs which is all my wife and I want to eat in a year.

__._,_.___

Posted by: kanode@mindspring.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

0 comments: