Re: [MittleiderMethodGardening] Whats your favorite tomatoes?

 

Fort Worth has a short growing season due to the intense heat of the summer.  Sam (the tomato man) Perez started his early in protected conditions.  By the time he planted them (April 15) they were four feet tall and he was selling by June 1st.  He preferred Cherokee Purple.  I still prefer Cherokee Purple (lower acid) and save seeds from Sam's legacy.  I now live in the NW section of MO.  I still grow my CP's for the table but the favorite here is the hybrid Better Boy.

Ed

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 22, 2015, at 12:30 PM, sorensonbj@aol.com [MittleiderMethodGardening] <MittleiderMethodGardening@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

I'd like to know what kinds of tomatoes do you gardeners prefer?


We have a pretty short season here in Western Montana, usually about 3 months, so i've been using Early Girl as my main crop. We can them, make salsa and catsup, eat a lot and share. I have a small greenhouse and grow about 14 plants on strings in it. This year I started the outside plants in a hoop tunnel, so I gain about a month at the start of the season. 


The Early Girls in the green house are not as flavorful and have a mealy, softer texture compared to the ones grown outside. I would also like a tomato with a more acidic old fashioned flavor (ya know, like dad and grandpa grew)


so I would like recommendations for flavorful tomatoes that do well outside or in a greenhouse. It make take different types. I'm willing to try several. I start my own from seed and keep my own seeds from a few heirloom varieties. 


Thanks Bryan

__._,_.___

Posted by: cedanc2 <cedanc2@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

.

__,_._,___

0 comments: