Re: [Organic_Gardening] Starting Seeds Indoors (and New to Group!)

 

Rose! Welcome back!
Okay, I use Whitney Farms Seed starting mix. Its quick its easy and it works.
I use trays and I also use TP cardboard inserts cut in half dipped in bleach
water and microwaved for 30 seconds.(If there is anything alive on them after
that they were meant to be) I set them up in the flat and pour out the soil and
spread it out and the wet the soil and let it settle and then spread out some
more soil and wet it. Usually after the second time the soil is down below the
edge just a tad. I usually do all the flats at once and then if I have seed left
over from one flat I have another already to go. I use grow pads. They keep the
soil and the plants tootsies evenly warm. ( I mean if my feet are cold I am not
happy and not a lot gets done so I figure it is the same with plants.:) ) I got
myself one of those little computer fans that they use to keep the inside of the
computer from over heating. I let it blow over the flats and that keeps the air
moving just enough that between the heat pads and the air movement I don't have
any damping off moments. (Oh I should also say that I run my flats through the
Dishwasher so they are nice and clean.) If your flats are wood find a garbage
can that will hold a number of flats at one time and fill it with water. So lets
say a thirty gallon CLEAN garbage can will hold about a dozen wooden flats and
fill it until the flats are under water you might need a clean brick or rock to
hold them under. Then add at least 2 gallons of bleach and put a lid on it and
let them soak for a day or two or three...... then take the lid off and let the
barrel sit open for a day. It takes about 12 to 20 hours for the bleach to
evaporate out of the water and if the sun is out it will take less time. Ultra
violet light from the sun causes the chlorine to break down faster.)
Now where was I........oh yes Rose's List!
Lighting I am a bit weird on this, I admit it...... I have the luxury of a green
house, and so with my lighting( which could be done if you have a south facing
window) also.....is to set up a photo electric switch. So the plants enjoy the
light of the day and then as the sun fades the electrics kick in and then the
florescent lighting which is about a foot above flats kick in and are on a timer
which is set for 3 hours. That way the plants get about 12 hours of light a day.
Which is about what they get during the summer. Now when the summer gets here
then the lighting goes into the storage room until it is needed in the winter.
But that is another story.
So Kiddo glad to hear that you are still puttering about and playing in the
dirt. Don't make it so long a wait until the next time.

jeff

________________________________
From: Rose Lieberman <lapis@frontier.com>
To: Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, February 16, 2011 7:13:46 AM
Subject: [Organic_Gardening] Starting Seeds Indoors (and New to Group!)

Hi, folks. My name is Rose, I'm 63 (yesterday), and live in rural upstate New
York, Zone 5. I was a member of this group before.

QUESTIONS regarding STARTING SEEDS INDOORS:
What do you find works best for you?
Do you start in plug trays?
Do you start in flats and then pot on?
What planting medium do you use?
What organic methods for damping off do you subscribe to?
Do you use heat mats for germination?
Do you use overhead lighting and if so, how far away from the plants do you keep
it?

I'm looking at starting some seeds the end of February and beginning March.
Those would be onion seeds, leeks, celery and probably a few other things that
slip my mind at the moment. I'll be using heat mats for germination along with
overhead lights.

I know that's a lot of questions and I appreciate any and all help.

Rose, NYS, Z5

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

0 comments: