Re: [Organic_Gardening] Re: Lasagna Gardens

 

Sherry,
Me to. and I like punching holes into them with my fork to get the air in
between the plies.
jeff

________________________________
From: sherry bakko <sbakko@centurytel.net>
To: Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, February 16, 2011 7:06:42 AM
Subject: Re: [Organic_Gardening] Re: Lasagna Gardens

I'm not Bina, but I have and do use heavy cardboard boxes (moving type)
and they work wonderful. I usually drench them with water BEFORE I add
anything on top of them tho.

Sherry

On Feb 16, 2011, at 12:35 AM, Cynthia Ybanez-Casares wrote:

> Hi Bina,
>
> Have you read Leslie's post about bokashi? This is exciting because
> it can give
> me instant gratification in composting kitchen scraps! I like your
> idea of using
> cardboard, since I can't seem to find newspapers. I visited all the
> libraries
> around and non have recycling bins for newspapers. Do you use thick
> box
> cardboard or thinner cardboard like from cereal boxes etc.?
>
> Cynthia
>
> ________________________________
> From: binaatthelake <schultzjanet@ymail.com>
> To: Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Sat, February 12, 2011 8:26:47 PM
> Subject: [Organic_Gardening] Re: Lasagna Gardens
>
>
> I used cardboard and it worked just fine, used it dry and wetted it
> with the
> hose well after. I put wet newspaper over any holes/handls that there
> were. I
> have 11 raised lasagna beds all 4x6 feet I am planting them in square
> foot
> method as well.
>
> Then last fall I emptied out the compost heap, used the last of the
> straw, all
> the leaves, all the soil from the potatoes, and a bale of peat moss.
> Layered it
> all on top of the television box I had kept in the garage until I was
> told I
> didn't have to and added a bunch more boxes that had collected over
> the summer
> and built a ground level bed in the front yard....4x25 ft. Our
> grocery store
> supplied the rest.
> Lasagna works and works very well, when I build the beds I take
> advantage of the
> layers and add organic fertilizers like bone meal, seed meal, wood
> ash, etc
> scattered between, wetting down as you go.
>
> Just an FYI they do settle...a fair bit the first couple of years so
> I have been
> stirring in which is really really easy cause it's so loose, things
> like all the
> beds got some sand added this past spring for the first five beds
> that I built
> just to give them a "tooth" the original soil I got was just a little
> silty so
> they needed it, and then some peat moss, and then some compost, and
> mulch and
> organic fertilizer. I will do it again this year I'm sure but even
> with the
> annual top dressings which I did in my old beds too I have loved the
> way it is
> coming together.
>
> Good luck with your garden,
> cheers
> Bina
>
> --- In Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com, Di Koehler <dikoehler@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > I was just over at the library and their recycle tub is full to go
> to the curb
>
> > next week. Might check there too.
> >
> > Dianne Koehler
> > Austin, TX zone 8b
> > Teaching painting & art
> > mini-camps http://sites.google.com/site/woodenitbewonderful
> > visit my art blog: http://wonderfulartsncrafts.blogspot.com/
> > visti my garden blog:
> http://dianne-gardening-in-wells-branch.blogspot.com/
> > George's New story:
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/44324820/Emily-s-Watchman
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: Jeff Strong <jeff_faithwalker@...>
> > To: Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com
> > Sent: Fri, February 11, 2011 11:00:15 AM
> > Subject: Re: [Organic_Gardening] Lasagna Gardens
> >
> >
> > Cynthia,
> > I would caution against the scraps into the garden. It invites
> unwanted
> > guest.
> > Newspaper, try going around to the restaurants and dinners and see
> if you can
> > glean from their recycling bins. And then their are always the
> > neighbors.Actually any eating establishment will probably have and
> abundant
> > supply of news papers.
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: art_cy <cynthia@...>
> > To: Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com
> > Sent: Sat, February 5, 2011 3:59:06 PM
> > Subject: [Organic_Gardening] Lasagna Gardens
> >
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > After reading a post about lasagna gardening from a new member in
> Alaska, I did
> >
> > some research on how to do this type of gardening. It is a simple
> process of
> > layering brown and green waste materials and, finally, toping it
> off with good
>
> > garden soil. My question is: Does anyone know if it is prudent to
> dump kitchen
>
> > material that is good for composting directly into the garden?
> >
> > Second question: Does anyone know where I can get a quantity of
> newspapers at
> > one time? I have made the rounds to all the paper recycling
> drop-offs near me
> > and found nothing.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Cynthia
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

0 comments: