Re: [Organic_Gardening] Re: Lasagna Gardens

 

LOLOLOL - you sound wonderful. Geez, I needed your sense of humor today. All of these gardens with the concrete borders (but not anymore just plain rock borders) that are on a slight slope so I want them to be lasagna gardens are in the FRONT yard! I, too, have done all I can with the back. I live on a small farm and my closest neighbor has a great garden every year on his land nearest the road that leads to our place. My mother started calling it the free market. Now its my turn to host the free market too.
And BIna - we are always here to talk garden. Thanks for the conversation today. Cynthia
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Janet Schultz <schultzjanet@ymail.com>
Sender: Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 23:44:22
To: <Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com>
Reply-To: Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Organic_Gardening] Re: Lasagna Gardens

I am Bina and I use heavier cardboard as well to do the base of mine too. But
not food boxes like cereal boxes they have all that colored ink and waxes on
them and I don't know if the worms would like it as well.and they do all the
work. I wet the newspaper that I used but my ground was still partially frozen
when I put in my garden and I was building raised beds so really did not want to
deal with kneeling in puddles...I'll find the pictures of that first spring and
try and figure how to put them in a file or something....need teenager.

I have one more bed to put in and a chicken tractor to build to fit them...I
have a plan (insert evil laugh and hand rubbing here) LOL
I really hope that I will have enough compost to get one more lasagna bed in
the front yard as well and it's going to be a fair length too and four feet
wide, for a decent Flint corn if anyone has a suggestion for a variety please
and I've got a short short season 96 days they claim...last year just for fun
Mother Nature gave me snow ....4inches of the stuff on July the 13th...not a
great year for tomatoes, but the peas loved it and my nerves were frayed... I
am trying 3 varieties of pumpkins this year after not getting a one last year
and I am doing them in the FRONT YARD this time ....I'm mad, totally mad but I
have 6 little kids and one bride totally over the moon about the community
garden in the front yard. The bride for the 120 tulip bulbs we planted last
fall, myself and two of the kidlets from across the street. The whole idea is
to corrupt them young.

Yes I am planting a community garden in the front yard ...and it is a lasagna
garden because after building 11 of them and working with them over the last few
years..I know they really really work and they are so much easier to deal with,
and with the four boys grown enough not to need me I can manage a much larger
garden which will reduce my food miles. I really do believe that I have maybe
figured the way to put my money where my mouth is and getting rid of the lawn.

Food not Lawns, Jim Molison's permaculture, organic food, local food, and all
the weirdness of Monsanto . Everyone who has seen the back with the constructed
raised beds loves my garden and this method does not overwhelm you with weeds,
it provides you with a great base that only gets better with time since you
control what goes into it from the very beginning and the weeds are only going
to be as bad as your soil and I sprung for a screened garden loam the second
year after getting a plain topsoil but I have done as much as I want in the back
yard....so now the front yard is going to get it....

That and the window farm, cob oven, and finishing off the coldframe should keep
me out of mischief this spring/summer/fall....LOL
anyway I am rambling,
But it's minus 24 degrees Celcius outside and snowing and blowing and it feels
like spring will never come and when you live with 5 men in the house they don't
speak garden....
Cheers again and

________________________________
From: sherry bakko <sbakko@centurytel.net>
To: Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, February 16, 2011 8:06:42 AM
Subject: Re: [Organic_Gardening] Re: Lasagna Gardens

I'm not Bina, but I have and do use heavy cardboard boxes (moving type) .
and they work wonderful. I usually drench them with water BEFORE I add
anything on top of them tho.

Sherry

On Feb 16, 2011, at 12:35 AM, Cynthia Ybanez-Casares wrote:

> Hi Bina,
>
> Have you read Leslie's post about bokashi? This is exciting because
> it can give
> me instant gratification in composting kitchen scraps! I like your
> idea of using
> cardboard, since I can't seem to find newspapers. I visited all the
> libraries
> around and non have recycling bins for newspapers. Do you use thick
> box
> cardboard or thinner cardboard like from cereal boxes etc.?
>
> Cynthia
>
> ________________________________
> From: binaatthelake <schultzjanet@ymail.com>
> To: Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Sat, February 12, 2011 8:26:47 PM
> Subject: [Organic_Gardening] Re: Lasagna Gardens
>
>
> I used cardboard and it worked just fine, used it dry and wetted it
> with the
> hose well after. I put wet newspaper over any holes/handls that there
> were. I
> have 11 raised lasagna beds all 4x6 feet I am planting them in square
> foot
> method as well.
>
> Then last fall I emptied out the compost heap, used the last of the
> straw, all
> the leaves, all the soil from the potatoes, and a bale of peat moss.
> Layered it
> all on top of the television box I had kept in the garage until I was
> told I
> didn't have to and added a bunch more boxes that had collected over
> the summer
> and built a ground level bed in the front yard....4x25 ft. Our
> grocery store
> supplied the rest.
> Lasagna works and works very well, when I build the beds I take
> advantage of the
> layers and add organic fertilizers like bone meal, seed meal, wood
> ash, etc
> scattered between, wetting down as you go.
>
> Just an FYI they do settle...a fair bit the first couple of years so
> I have been
> stirring in which is really really easy cause it's so loose, things
> like all the
> beds got some sand added this past spring for the first five beds
> that I built
> just to give them a "tooth" the original soil I got was just a little
> silty so
> they needed it, and then some peat moss, and then some compost, and
> mulch and
> organic fertilizer. I will do it again this year I'm sure but even
> with the
> annual top dressings which I did in my old beds too I have loved the
> way it is
> coming together.
>
> Good luck with your garden,
> cheers
> Bina
>
> --- In Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com, Di Koehler <dikoehler@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > I was just over at the library and their recycle tub is full to go
> to the curb
>
> > next week. Might check there too.
> >
> > Dianne Koehler
> > Austin, TX zone 8b
> > Teaching painting & art
> > mini-camps http://sites.google.com/site/woodenitbewonderful
> > visit my art blog: http://wonderfulartsncrafts.blogspot.com/
> > visti my garden blog:
> http://dianne-gardening-in-wells-branch.blogspot.com/
> > George's New story:
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/44324820/Emily-s-Watchman
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: Jeff Strong <jeff_faithwalker@...>
> > To: Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com
> > Sent: Fri, February 11, 2011 11:00:15 AM
> > Subject: Re: [Organic_Gardening] Lasagna Gardens
> >
> >
> > Cynthia,
> > I would caution against the scraps into the garden. It invites
> unwanted
> > guest.
> > Newspaper, try going around to the restaurants and dinners and see
> if you can
> > glean from their recycling bins. And then their are always the
> > neighbors.Actually any eating establishment will probably have and
> abundant
> > supply of news papers.
> >
> > ________________________________
> > From: art_cy <cynthia@...>
> > To: Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com
> > Sent: Sat, February 5, 2011 3:59:06 PM
> > Subject: [Organic_Gardening] Lasagna Gardens
> >
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > After reading a post about lasagna gardening from a new member in
> Alaska, I did
> >
> > some research on how to do this type of gardening. It is a simple
> process of
> > layering brown and green waste materials and, finally, toping it
> off with good
>
> > garden soil. My question is: Does anyone know if it is prudent to
> dump kitchen
>
> > material that is good for composting directly into the garden?
> >
> > Second question: Does anyone know where I can get a quantity of
> newspapers at
> > one time? I have made the rounds to all the paper recycling
> drop-offs near me
> > and found nothing.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Cynthia
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

0 comments: