Re: [Organic_Gardening] Re: Newbie Intro

 

Mexican Beetles they like that hot food doncha know!;)

________________________________
From: blaise_25053 <blaise_25053@yahoo.com>
To: Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, August 22, 2010 10:11:21 AM
Subject: [Organic_Gardening] Re: Newbie Intro

Hey Jeff,
I never got to to the part of having emerging heads sorry to say. :-/ Our rainy
weather kept me out of the garden and the worms/caterpillars were dining without
care. When weather permitted I used diatamaceous earth and then dipel
dust(Bt-kurstaki) but within a few days here came the rains. I read that
diatamaceous earth is not honeybee friendly but thankfully I had used it on my
cabbage only (no flowers there.)
I was watching a youtube video about preventing cabbage worms in the first place
and I'm going to try it in the spring. You use wire fence or the reinforcing
wire and bend it into a tunnel shape to cover your plants. Cover that with bird
netting and supposedly the cabbage moths can't get in to lay eggs in the first
place. You don't have to worry about getting too hot such as covering with row
cover and the rain can get in and you can add fertilizer or slug deterrent (I
like sluggo - pet safe) I do have a small garden (raised beds) so this is
do-able for me. Now I've got to figure out what to do about the Mexican Bean
Beetle. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks, Barb
ps O and would you believe a few of my jalapenos had something chew into them???
What kind of bug would be eating a jalapeno...lol???

--- In Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Strong <jeff_faithwalker@...>
wrote:
>
> Hi Barb and welcome to the Family. Say on your cabbage worm problem. Try
> slipping the emerging heads into the foot of a cheap nylon stocking. You can
>get
>
> them at the Dollar store. And the Jalapenos ground up and boiled and strained
> make a great spray against bugs and critters attacking other produce.
> jeff

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

0 comments: