[MittleiderMethodGardening] Controlling Nematodes & Ants

 


Bernie and Group,
If the marigolds fail or there is a huge infestation of nematodes, you
can buy BENEFICIAL NEMAODES which eat and destroy the bad nematodes. I
used it some years ago at our old community gardens.

It is my extreme pleasure to pass along to the group any little hint that
is simple, organic and cost effective. Now someone, give me a permanent
cure for ants.
It is amusing to me that several of our garden members have put out a
mixture of boric acid and molasses to attract ants who will take the mixture
back to the nest. However, it resulted in all the ants from other gardens
flocking to the baited garden. LOL A note regarding making this specific
bait. If the ratio of boric acid is too strong, the ants never make it back
to the nest to kill off the nest.

I have had success doing the following. When I see ant trails, I merely
mix up a heavy solution of dish soap and water in a spray bottle and also a
bucket.
I follow the trail and kill off all the ants on the way with the spray.
When I get to the nest, I pour the bucket of soap/water solution into the
nest. Kills immediately. Caution: Don't get this solution near your
vegetables.
It is however, an on going task. I asked our Terminex man if there was a
safe spray to use for ants in a vegetable garden. His reply was, "if there
was, I would be a rich man." So, I know it will always be a problem.
Last evening, my dahlia blooms were covered with ants. I sprayed the soap
solution on the blooms, waited 10 minutes and then washed the soap off the
blooms. No more ants when I left but then, today is a new day and I will do
battle again.
Joanne

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

0 comments: