Re: [Organic_Gardening] Re: What is eating?/dispatching 'chucks



Hi Ken,

Sounds like a martin to me, in the weasel family. Beautiful little creature but very tough, your cat doesn't want to tangle with it. The next step up in size in that family is the Fisher and they are ten times as tough, they eat cats.

Dave in the Adirondacks

----- Original Message -----
From: Ken
To: Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2009 12:42 AM
Subject: [Organic_Gardening] Re: What is eating?/dispatching 'chucks

I was just going out my back door this afternoon and usually feed all the wild birds through the winter months. Something a little bigger than a cat ran by the back of my house and up past the garden. It was deep brown with a darker blackish color on the back and a big furry tail. I thought maybe it was a fox, but they go after birds, and the birds were still feeding, and only took off after I opened the back door. It was a little bigger than a large cat, and low to the ground. I wish I had gotten a better look, but it moved too fast so I couldn't figure out what it was. Thinking maybe badger, or something else. Looked up most of these animals family and have still not found out what it is. I am now considering putting out my big Hav-A-Hart trap only because I don't want another disaster this summer. Woodchucks are what destroyed my brothers inlaws garden a few years back. It set up camp right in the middle of his 2 acre pumpkin patch. You could see chewed up pumpkins in a very large area around its huge mound of dirt home.

I use a pellet rifle to deal with some undesirable things. I have one very cheap pellet rifle with a muzzle velocity of about 800 ft/sec. Close to .22 speed, but with no gunpowder, or loud bang. Its very quick.

--- In Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com, "winna222" <rlludwick@...> wrote:
>
> Sure do, Yvonne!
> My hubby likes to dispatch or "get rid of" woodchucks with a 22 caliber rifle. In fact, he did just that recently when one poor misguided 'chuck decided to set up housekeeping under my garden shed. Ugh! That was the 'chuck's first (and last!) mistake.
>
> I'm not usually a person who likes to kill animals, or see animals be killed. However having said that, I find nothing worthwhile about woodchucks, whatsoever. They dig, they chew on things, and generally make a mess of your yard. I can find nothing good about them at all. We very often have a young male who decides he wants to live under my shed in the spring, when he gets kicked out of his birth family. Hubby makes sure that they "go to a better place" in short order.
> Linda Ludwick
> Zone 5 in MI
>
> Yvonne Schaffer <yeschaffer@> wrote:
> I had woodchucks last summer. They ate the tops off my pepper plants. They were able to climb the steps of my deck and eat the peppers that were planted in containers. They also ate all of my dill plants. They make holes everywhere. Does anyone have any idea of how to get rid of them? I am in northeast Ohio, zone 5.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

0 comments: