Re: [MittleiderMethodGardening] Covering T-Frames over an 18" soil-bed or Grow-Box to Protect from Weather

 

Dear Jim,
I would like to offer my humble advice, regarding the use of Polythene sheet , plain or UV treated over PVC pipe frames.
The poly covering would break up in the areas contacting the PVC pipe. Depending on the ambient temperature conditions, in cooler climates the poly covering could last a bit longer, but in the tropics, like here in Thailand, my 30' x 12' hydroponic greenhouse, PVC frame with 6 mil UV polythene Greenhouse plastic fell apart in barely a year. I did not know the reason at the time, so went back to my supplier, to confirm whether I was supplied with UV protected Polythene, which he confirmed.
On doing further research, I discovered that the PVC pipes "GasOut" chlorine when they heat up, destroying the plastic sheet in the process. I have since rebuilt my greenhouse with translucent fiber glass roofing sheets on a wooden roof frame, and concrete columns.
I have read that it is possible to use plastic sheeting on PVC pipe frames, if the PVC is first wrapped in tape. I would not recommend any tape, as I wouldnt recommend the PVC frames to start with.
You could google Polythene on PVC, and find out more. See url for article:



Kind regards to all our Mittleider Fans

Conrad Fernandes


Conrad Group:

Thanks for that reminder.  I had forgotten about that problem.  ldsprepper researched this and determined that painting the PVC pipe would stop the problem.  

I  do not have any personal experience with it, so can't say with authority, but I recommend anyone building one to check about painting the PVC first.

Jim Kennard

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Conrad A. S. Fernandes" <jacolengineers@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

0 comments: