[MittleiderMethodGardening] Grow boxes - measure Pre-Plant by linear foot or by volume?

 

Hello,

My apologies if this topic has been covered before. This is my first year of Mittleider gardening after 35 years of organic. So far, I love it!

We have made planters on casters for the deck of our rental house. Each planter box measures 5 foot x18 inches x10 inches deep. I am using a blend of 50% sawdust, 35% peat moss, 15% perlite. I can't use sand or the planters will be much too heavy. The seedlings that I have raised with this blend are flourishing, as are plants growing in 5 gallon pots.

For the 5 foot planter boxes, if I use the '1 oz to 1 linear foot of Pre-Plant' method, I calculate that I need 5 oz of Pre-Plant... 24 teaspoons or 8 tablespoons. If I use the Mittleider seedling flat method ( 9 teaspoons per 0.5 cubic foot), I calculate that I need 112 teaspoons, or 37.5 tablespoons... because each planter box is 6.25 cubic feet.

Is my math wrong? Which calculation should I use? I contemplated just splitting the difference, but I thought maybe I should ask for advice instead.

Thanks very much!
Lia



Lia Group:


Use 1 ounce per linear foot of Pre-Plant Mix and 1/2 ounce of Weekly Feed Mix.


Jim Kennard

__._,_.___

Posted by: lianne858555@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

0 comments: