[Organic_Gardening] Re: Isolation Distances----->Crossing Radishes, Onions, Leeks, Garlic???? HELP!!!

 

Hi

Off the top of my head I don't know the isolation distances but to me it sounds like you are getting serious about seed saving. I would recommend getting the book Seed to Seed by Suzanne Ashworth. It's not too expensive - $14 or 15 from Amazon. It includes information on how to properly isolate about 140 different species of food plants.

Different varieties of the same species may cross so you either have to isolate with a physical barrier like a screen cage that cages in pollinators with what you are trying to save, by distance so that crosses are unlikely or by time - so that different varieties of the same species are blooming at different times. The best method to use depends on how the plant is pollinated - wind, insect or self pollinated.

Her book will guide you through the whole process and is very good. I can't find mine at the moment - hope I didn't lend it to someone.

Garlic, leeks and onions are different varieties in the same family so will not cross. However, two different types of onions would cross if planted together. But leeks, onions, and garlic won't cross with each other.

Garlic is usually propagated by dividing the bulbs so it's more f a cloning that a seed saving. You can plant different garlics together and save the bulbs and they will not have crossed.

I used to have a small seed company.

Leslie
High River, Canada -

--- In Organic_Gardening@yahoogroups.com, "amymariesol" <amymariesol@...> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am currently learning all I can about Isolation distances. While I already know about peppers, and a few other items that can cross, I am wondering about radishes? Will different varieties cross? What about Garlic, Leeks, and Onions??? Do they have to be separated??? How much room in between if they do?
>
> Thank you so much. We have abundant pollinators, so I really need to get this right.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> amy marie
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!

.

__,_._,___

0 comments: